Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The completion of the main plot

Late last night, I wrote to the completion the second of the three main story arches. The passage collides together the intentions of the protagonist and the antagonist. Thereby, it's the completion of the main plot; it's the most important knotting of threads in the book. At the moment, I think I managed well with it.

I've been agonizing with that passage for about seven months. First, my ideas for it didn't satisfy me. I rejected my original idea very quickly. I've seen that particular scenario played out too many times in fantasy books. Then I came up with a flood of stupid ideas. For a while, I even contemplated dropping the antagonist into a pit in order to give the person quadriplegia. At the end, I came up with the idea that is now in the file. That happened about five months ago. Why it took me that long to write it?

According to my experiences, it's good to let ideas stand for a little while. Most ideas can't survive that period. The thrill I initially felt fades away. However, if an idea survives the test, in most cases, it's a usable idea that gets even better as it gets older. So happened with the idea for the conclution of my main plot. During the last three days, as I was writing the idea down at last, I had numerous supporting ideas with the main one and a few popped up during the writing, too. Surprises don't stop, it seems. In addition, the main plot had evolved into something even more thrilling than it was back then, fife months ago.

No comments: