Sunday, March 2, 2008

Surprising myself

Today, I wrote the first of the three main story arches in my book to the conclusion.

Finally.

Once again, despite the draft I'm following, something surprising happened. I was writing about my main character Travis' struggle to understand the motives of his partner. It was my intention to make him ponder about the dislike he and his partner feel for a certain side character and thereby come to the conclusion whether to accept his partner's motives or not. However, I wrote about Travis recalling his memories from the very beginning of his time with his partner. Because of them, he came to understand the fault in his own thinking. The end result was the same, but the way I took was a route that I never had even thought about.

It was much better way than to one I had previously decided to take.

Where do these ideas come from? From my subconscious, that's my guess. But, that doesn't tell me much. How do the ideas rise from the subconscious level to the conscious level? I have no idea, but my best ideas seem to appear like this.

No comments: